13 Valleys Ultra Training Weekends
Join us on our training weekend in the heart of the Lake District.
Targeted towards beginner to intermediate levels, the weekend will be packed full of trail running coaching, gear testing, map navigation and expert talks. You'll stay at YHA Patterdale, a lively Scandinavian style retreat that is ideal for exploring the surrounding ridges and fells. Built in the 1970s and with a unique look all of its own, YHA Patterdale recently had a stylish makeover and has never looked better.
There is also the option of joining us for the day on either the Saturday or Sunday (food is included but no overnight stay).
Location: Patterdale, Penrith CA11 0NW
Dates: Friday 23 June to Sunday 25 June (weekend) or Saturday 24 June (day), or Sunday 25 June (day).
For the full weekend: start at 7pm on Friday and finish around 3 / 4pm on Sunday
For individual dates: 9am - 8pm Saturday // 9am - 4pm Sunday
Price: £250 per person (weekend) or £75 (day).
Age criteria: All participants to the training weekends must be aged 20 years old or over.
Who is it for?
Training weekends are targeted towards beginner to intermediate levels. For runners who want to run their first trail running race or their first Ultra, to experienced trail runners who want to learn more about map navigation, using poles or just want to meet like-minded people and have a fun weekend!
- Friday and Saturday night accommodation at YHA Patterdale (note: this is single-gender premium dormitory accommodation)
- Food all weekend (breakfast, lunch and dinners with tea/coffees and cakes)*
- Two full days of training with world-class tutors and coaches: map and compass reading, how to use poles etc…
- A talk with Beth Pascall on Saturday around nutrition and hydration
- Talks with Petzl on headtorches
- Guided run on part of the 13 Valleys route
- A fun weekend with like minded people.
*If you have any specific dietary requirements let us know during the weekend.
What’s not included?
- Extra accommodation if you want to stay on the Sunday night.
Where will I stay?
You will stay at YHA Patterdale (Patterdale, Penrith CA11 0NW) which is a single-gender premium dormitory accommodation.
What’s the course programme?
- Meet at YHA Patterdale on Friday evening from 5pm - 7pm
- Dinner at YHA at 7pm - meet everyone
- Skills audit: Self-assessment questionnaire form to be completed as to Experience, Strengths and Weaknesses, Hopes and Fears, and Skills the individual wishes to focus on.
- 8p, / 9pm: pub!
- 9:00am - Short indoor session on programme details, basic safety / kit demo briefing.
- 10am - Navigation Skills - Session One Indoor tutor session in groups of different ability, focusing on map reading skills
- 1pm - Lunch at YHA
- 2pm - Navigation challenge activity
- 4pm - Petzl / Headlamps
- 5pm - Beth Pascal talk on Nutrition and Hydration + general Q&A
- 7pm - Dinner at YHA
- Walk or run for those who want to
Beth Pascall, is an Ultra trail runner who's won Ultra Trail Cape Town in 2019 and Western States 100 in 2021.
- 8am – Breakfast at YHA
- 9am - Split into groups of different running abilities to go for a run on part of the 5, 7 and 13 Valleys route
- (Lunch on the move)
- 3 / 4pm – back for a review before departures.
Who’s leading the training weekend?
Joe Faulkner will be leading both training weekends. Joe is a qualified Mountain Leader and Instructor (MIA, Winter ML, and AMI member), an experienced kayak/canoe tutor, and Rope Access Technician. Joe is also a professionally qualified Trainer and Safety Manager. He created The Great Lakeland 3 Day Mountain Trial, Haweswater Half Marathon and the Tour de Helvellyn.
Joe is a very experienced mountaineer, fell runner and adventure race competitor racing more than a dozen ultras and completing all four Dragons Back Races over a 25 year period. He created NAV4 Adventure, to teach navigation to mountain marathon runners as well as offering training, coaching and mountain based activities.
What Kit shall I bring with me?
- Off road running shoes
- Running gear (leggings, shorts, tees and don't forget running socks!)
- Waterproof running jacket
- Water bottle
- Hat or buff
- Anything you'd bring for a weekend away (a towel, toiletries and change of clothes).
How do I sign up?
To book a place, simply click the button below for the weekend you want to attend and follow the link to sign up and pay. You'll receive an email confirming your place, and we'll be in touch before the weekend with any relevant information you may need.
Places are limited, so we recommend signing up early to avoid missing out!